Tue, Jun 06|
ARCQE - Teaching and Learning about Race and Racism with Young Children
Time & Location
Jun 06, 2023, 6:30 p.m. – 9:30 p.m.
About the event
Racism hurts us all: by creating fear and divisiveness in society, by threatening the wellbeing of some families, and by impacting the healthy development of children. Research tells us that children are forming their attitudes about race and other aspects of diversity from a very early age, so it is essential that we, as educators, take an active role in combating racism and discrimination.
In this workshop, you will learn about the nature and effects of racism. You will explore your own attitudes and experiences about aspects of diversity in order to increase your comfort in modeling and discussing racism with children. Finally, you will consider ways to introduce and respond to issues of race and to support children's appreciation for diversity.Learning outcomes:
- Discuss the nature and roots of racism
- Recognize racism in society and among individuals
- Describe the impact of racism on children, adults, and in society
- Engage in personal exploration regarding attitudes and experiences associated with diversity
- Outline ways to work toward an anti-racist environment through modeling and discussions with children.
Online via Zoom
Date & Time:
June 6, 2023 6:30 am - 9:30 pm
For more information and to register, go here.